Sunday, July 12, 2009

Currently editing my YA Contemporary Fantasy!

After twenty odd rejections, I'm back to the drawing board. Rejections are never easy to swallow but there's an upside: multiple rejections mean the project needs work, or something just isn't working, period. This can be hard to accept when you've spent countless hours reading and revising. You fall in love with your characters, familiar with intimate details of their lives. But these rejections are a wake-up call.

I tend to tackle too many things at once but for some reason, it works for me. Usually. Perhaps I need to focus on this one project instead of trying to juggle two or three?

This strategy actually taught me something. I'm not a YA writer. There, I said it. I gave it my best shot but my passion is adult urban fantasy. And so, on that note, my YA project will go on the shelf, but it won't be forgotten. I'm sure I'll borrow certain elements from the MS, whether it's a character's name or a vivid description of a location.

It wasn't a wasted effort: I learned something.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I just stopped writing two books to focus on one, but I'm dual like that. I can't focus on one thing or boredom sets in. Just keep doing what works for you.

Rowan said...

That sounds like me --- if I look at something for too long I tend to get bored. Maybe working on a new project will inspire me during these revisions!
[or maybe I need to get busy on this blog! LOL] I love your blog - great layout.

Kerri said...

Thanks, I've only changed it six or seven times. It's that boredom thing again =)