I've often wondered if writers choose a particular genre because it interests them or do they gravitate towards a genre because of real life experience. For example, let's say you work in law enforcement but you love fantasy novels. Do you write what you know (police procedurals) or what you love (urban or contemporary fantasies)?
On that note, do you think having specialized experience relevant to a particular genre makes a better writer? Assuming they are equally gifted writers, will that police officer write a better - more realistic - crime novel than the accountant or student? I've often thought that life experience is the best education for a writer along with reading a wide variety of novels and writing constantly. Above all a writer must constantly strive to improve his/her craft - hone your skills. But I'm on the fence as to whether or not having personal experience in certain professions makes for a more interesting (authentic) story. I'm sure a lot of people are thinking one thing right now: RESEARCH. Sure, a writer has an arsenal of tools at their disposal, most notably the internet and the opportunity to interview just about any expert in any field. The question remains...will research live up to the real thing? I suppose it comes down to ability.
No comments:
Post a Comment