Like most writers, I've written more than one manuscript. I've learned a lot over the years and I'd like to think my writing has improved dramatically. You know the old saying: if you want to be a good writer you must read a lot and above all, WRITE.
One resource I failed to consider early on: beta readers.
For those of you unfamiliar with the term, a beta reader is basically another set of eyes to read and critique your MS. Everyone has their own style but a beta might offer you line by line edits, give you an overall impression, point out plot issues or help you out when you hit a wall. A good beta will offer you constructive criticism that will improve your novel. You can have more than one beta reader but if you're lucky you'll probably find one that you just click with. Someone who becomes more of a writing partner and with whom you can exchange work. Quid pro quo.
Being a beta reader has also made me a better writer. You can learn a lot by reading for other writers. After a while you learn to spot trouble areas (the dreaded adverbs, dialogue tags, pacing problems...) and avoid them in your own projects.
So my advice to all the aspring writers out there: find a beta reader. A good place to start looking? A reputable writer's board like Absolute Write and of course, your friends. Of course make sure the latter can be objective and don't just pat you on the back!
No comments:
Post a Comment